Working in the basketball industry for over 15+ years, I’ve (unfortunately) heard it all, seen it all, and experienced it all. That word ‘unfortunately’ isn’t there because of the athletes, it’s there because of the adults. ADULTS YOUR ACTIONS AND BEHAVIORS MATTER!
Research shows that the #1 reason why athletes stop playing sports is because it’s no longer fun. Seems like an obvious reason. But have you ever asked yourself WHY isn’t it fun anymore?
Here’s the truth about why sports aren’t fun anymore (these are real answers I’ve heard from past clients):
- Cannot live up the expectations set from their parents.
- Too much pressure to perform.
- No longer excelling in the sport.
- It’s too big of a time commitment.
- It’s ruining my relationships with my family and loved ones.
- Sick and tired of the car ride home and being verbally assaulted.
- Parents seem happier and calmer during leisure activities and NOT during the sport event.
- Confidence and identity is being placed too heavily on results (stats, playing time, winning, etc.).
Parents, if we look at these examples, we must start taking ownership that your actions and behaviors from the sideline are being absorbed by your athlete. We must do better!
Research shows that the #1 reason why athletes stop playing sports is because it’s no longer fun.
“OWN YOUR OUTCOME!”